Decorah’s Mary Christopher Park boosts a new picnic shelter, restrooms, playground along side the recently completed Winneshiek County Veterans Memorial. (Driftless Multimedia photo by Samantha Ludeking)
Decorah Parks and Recreation will host a “Celebration of Parks” the weekend of July 8-9 as part of July’s National Parks and Recreation month. The fun family-orientated weekend is a chance to celebrate new amenities in the park system added over the last few years. Check out the following locations to see the newest improvements within our parks.
• Steps are being replaced by John Klosterboer, and still under construction
• Trail head improvements and erosion reduction by John Klosterboer
• New pillars at the entrance
• Stone Bridge
Mary Christopher Park
• New picnic shelter and restrooms
• Veterans Memorial is complete
• Fossum Memorial Shelter
• Re-opening of the original trail and pillars
• Improved picnic area on the way to the overlook
• Stone wall and overlook improvements along Park Street
• Phelps trail heading east and the steps going west have been renovated
The Decorah Parks and Recreation Department encourages all to get out and enjoy the newest park improvements! Visit parks.decorahia.org for additional information regarding each location.